Colorado TableTake advantage of the tomato deluge now and make lunch
There is nothing better than a creamy tomato soup made from fresh summer tomatoes. Today's recipe "Creamy" Tomato Soup takes advantage of the roma tomato deluge and makes lunch. Since the tomatoes are more flavorful this time of year, I merely flash-roast them — about 10 or so minutes will do the trick — which keeps the oven use down to a minimum. (Sometimes, I grill them, uncut, instead, but I'll confess that's a bit messier.)
Colorado TableCOOKING ON DEADLINE: Green Goddess Dressing and Dip
Chef Philip Roemer debuted the dressing in 1923 to honor actor George Arliss, who stayed at the hotel while performing in William Archer's hit play "The Green Goddess." It is believed to have been inspired by a dressing that hailed from the kitchens serving Louis XIII, served then not with salads but with eel. (If you have long wondered what dressing to serve with your Wednesday Night Eel, as I have, this info could be very helpful.)
Colorado TablePair salmon with beans and you’ve got a hearty summer supper
Canned salmon is one of my favorite healthy fast-foods. When it goes on sale, you can stock up the pantry with a few cans of it, making wild salmon downright inexpensive.
Colorado TableCOOKING ON DEADLINE: Pasta with Sauteed Kale, Bread Crumbs
There are plenty of pasta and greens recipe out there, but this one is elevated and made super-amazing by the topping of Parmesan-infused fried fresh bread crumbs. And a smidge of anchovies and red pepper flakes.
Colorado TableFor easy meals, plant ‘menu gardens’ of favorite foods
"Even if you have land to grow a large garden, one advantage of growing a few edible plants in a small space or container close to the kitchen is that it makes it easier to pull together a fresh recipe," said Patrice Powers-Barker, an extension educator with The Ohio State University.
Colorado TableServe Clam Tomato and Bacon Stew with grilled garlic bread
Clam or mussel, this sea creature must be well-cleaned before it's steamed. Start by filling a large bowl with cold water. Add the mollusks and swirl them around, then lift them out of the bowl. Dump out the sand on the bottom of the bowl, refill the bowl with clean water and repeat the procedure until the bathed clams leave no sand.
- THE MIX: Top Entertainment & Events in Aurora-Denver, Dec. 8-14
- THE MIX: Top Entertainment & Events in Aurora-Denver, Nov. 17- Nov. 23
- THE MIX: Top Entertainment & Events in Aurora-Denver, Nov. 10- Nov. 16
- THE MIX: Top Entertainment & Events in Aurora-Denver, Oct. 20- 26
- Aurora’s Stanley adds arts, culture to its expansive eating, entertainment and shopping menu
- THE MIX: Top Entertainment & Events in Aurora-Denver, Sept. 29- Oct. 5
- THE MIX: Top Entertainment & Events in Aurora-Denver, Sept. 22- 28
- Kevin Bacon loves Baconfest invite, is sorry he can’t attend
- THE MIX: Top Entertainment & Events in Aurora-Denver, Sept. 1- 7
- Flowery teapots in museums, sure, but how about a coffeepot?
- Food and drink just a part of menu for Aurora’s inaugural June 10 Buskers, Brews and BBQ
- Doughnut delivery by drone in Denver is a peek at the future — VIDEO CLIPS
- Smoky Hill High School alum explores story of black chefs at White House in popular book
- Colorado fruit growers worry over unseasonably warm weather