After being convicted last year of killing 12 and wounding 70 more in the July 2012 attack, James Holmes was moved from Colorado Department of Corrections custody to an undisclosed prison
Experts say the loss Thursday to Cinemark may also have hurt the chances of other survivors in the few remaining lawsuits stemming from the 2012 rampage
The House Veterans Affairs subcommittee on oversight and investigations is scheduled to hear from three Colorado-based VA officials at the state Capitol Friday
“Cinemark endured a tremendous tragedy as did the victims of the case and the entire Aurora community … at the hands of a madman, James Holmes,” attorney Kevin Taylor told reporters. “Mr. Holmes was clearly unpredictable, unforeseeable, unpreventable and unstoppable. … The only thing that matches the unforeseeability of this case is the tragedy of it.”
Jurors will resume deliberations in a civil trial over whether the company that owns an Aurora movie theater should have done more to prevent a shooting that left 12 people dead
Lisa Teesch-Maguire, one of the prosecutors who handled the case, said she knows of at least three victims who have filed a complaint with the Colorado Division of Criminal Justice arguing the state’s decision to keep the gunman’s location secret violates the Colorado Victims’ Rights Act.
Some victims testified during Holmes’ sentencing that they didn’t want him imprisoned in California, closer to his parents who live near San Diego. Prison officials had assured prosecutors last year that they would not move him there
James Holmes is serving a life sentence for the attack, which also left more than 70 others injured
“Cinemark failed to be prepared in a post-9/11 world,” said Bern, who is representing 27 victims. A 28th survivor who is representing herself argued the shooting left her emotionally damaged, even though she was not in the auditorium where it took place but in a theater down the hall.